Skip to main content

It happens only in India?

A couple of days ago ,after shopping at my local grocery store, I was at the checkout counter. After waiting  in line for about 25 minutes, and holding a heavy shopping basket, I was just about to have my purchases billed, when a guy cuts in front of me. I asked him what he thought he was doing, and he turns and says to me "Madam I only have one packet of chips."  A hard day of work, and a long bus ride later , I was in no mood to be messed with. I asked him what that was supposed to mean to me, and he stared back at me with a  blank expression. Apparently its his birthright that allows him to cut ahead of people in lines when he only has a couple of measly items , and makes the rest of us who have heavy baskets and have been waiting in line for ages, invisible. And telling someone to please get in line apparently makes me a raging crazy monster. Well, थाथास्त्हू ("So be it" for the uninitiated) is what I say to that.

My point is, whether it is admonishing someone for cutting queues, or for spitting in public places, or for bad driving on the roads, why do I get told "Madam, this is India..this is what happens here..". Why is this what happens here? As a good friend of mine once said - "Why is it that we are allowed to expect quality in a foreign country, but not in our own? ".

Why are there different standards for men and women?  Why is it that when my male friend smokes, he gets smoking buddies, but when my female friend smokes she gets stared at?Why is it assumed that I do too, just because I hang out with her? More importantly, why is it that we are both judged for that? 

Why do I get judged for having lived in the US? Why is it that when I speak in a certain way, I get made fun of? When did speaking English well become a bad thing? Why is it equated with drinking and smoking? Why do I have to be careful of who is around when I talk to men? Why do I have to second guess what "people" might be thinking when I talk to certain other people? Why am I told that I have to watch what I say, whom I say it to, and when and where I say it? Why is it that a coworker recently told me, on seeing that I have a  number of male friends , that I should "control" my behavior? Why is there a generic incapacity of people to accept that my lifestyle is different from theirs, and that DOESN'T make it wrong? Why is it that I should care about ANY of this stuff?

I don't. But the bottomline is -  I love my country, but then why am I made to feel unwelcome in it? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The story of the dumb "phak", and other anecdotes.

So I don't know how many of you feel this way, but I , for one, am perplexed by women who abuse all the time. Let me rephrase, I'm perplexed by people who abuse all the time. One of the most over-used (I was going to say abused, but then it seemed cliched) words of all time is the F-word. There are people I've known who find it essential to use the word fuck (this is an R-rated blog post) in almost every single sentence that leaves their mouth. "Fuck you..yada yada" or "F that shit .. etc etc" or "you etc etc fucking etc etc". I mean how hard is it to not use the same word again and again? The English vocabulary is very very vast, and people who are giving/have given the GRE will nod their heads solemnly when they read this. For the rest of you guys who read well, you should still agree. But I digress. Inspite of having a gazillion words, of which I'm sure a good many are abuses, why, why is it so so life essential to use the word "fuc...

Just not today

Two plates on a counter,two glasses on a table. To dream of this life, if only I was able. My knight , his armour, of which I see a shine My bard, his song, of which I hear a rhyme I know it isn't, But I wish it were mine. One touch, one breath is all I get for today I know it must end,  But just not today...just not today.

What is it about people?

1] People who make their gtalk/gchat status - "this is what I had for dinner last night" AND uploading a picture of it as the display pic (err...does it look like I care???) 2] People who write blogs and display msgs addressing movie stars, rock bands and celebrities (RIIIIGHT- because they've just been dyyyyyying to hear from you. AND breathlessly check your blog and gchat status everyday to find out what you think about them) 3] People who use "ma/ lyk /da" and the ilk (Come ON! Are you telling me that ALL the money your parents spent sending you to school went down the pooper???) 4] People who wear their jeans below their underwear (Come on kid, PULL UP YOUR PANTS!) More later :D